Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Gomashio ~ Japanese Sesame Salt




Gomashio is also called gomasio or sesame-salt. It's a low-sodium Japanese seasoning that packs a powerhouse of nutrition and flavor. Monks in zen monasteries top their rice with it. Gomashio is also used in macrobiotic cooking. I keep it in my kitchen to sprinkle on everything from vegetables to fish. It's wonderful on sliced avocado, eggs or soba noodles. It's nice with Middle Eastern and Moroccan food, flatbreads and wraps too. You get the idea.




Gomasio is made from toasted and crushed sesame seeds and sea salt. It has a nutty flavor and a delicate crunch. Sesame seeds are very good for us. They contain copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium and other vitamins and minerals. They also have two unique substances that have been shown to reduce cholesterol and prevent high blood pressure.






This seasoning sits on my table as my preferred condiment. I enjoy a macrobiotic breakfast of Miso Mushroom Soup and a side of whole wheat toast topped with avocado and gomasio. A walk on the clear beach with my eager beagle promotes peaceful energy too. I pray. I listen to crashing waves. The air is salty and invigorating. I'm grateful.







Gomashio (Sesame Salt) Recipe

  • 1/3 cup of sesame seeds. I use Brown Sesame Seeds. 
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt or to your taste 


Instructions


Place the seeds in a small fry pan and toast them on medium heat until they start to pop, become fragrant and turn golden-brown. Stir them around the pan as they toast. Be careful not to burn them. Once the popping has started, take the pan off the heat. Transfer the seeds to a bowl and let cool. Place the seeds and the sea salt in a spice grinder or use a mortar and pestle to gently grind them, cracking the seeds open. Don't pulverize the seeds into a flour consistency. You want them to have some texture. Store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Sprinkle over rice, vegetables or fish. Use this seasoning in sushi and stir-fries.      

Bon Appetite & Blessings!
xx ~ Jilly


2 comments:

  1. Such a nice recipe idea... I'll give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmin, it's easy to prepare and packs lots of flavor and nutrition. Thanks for visiting me! Happy Cooking! ;)

      Delete