Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Rosemary Olive Oil Cake with Dark Chocolate Chips


The moment I read the recipe for Heidi Swanson's Rosemary Olive Oil Cake, I knew I had to bake it. Rosemary is the surprise ingredient here but it's not overpowering. This cake is so simple and delicious! Olive oil, rosemary and dark chocolate complement each other in an unexpected way. I enjoy a piece straight out of the oven or have a slice for breakfast, reheated in the microwave for just a bit. The cake is a keeper!


Rosemary Olive Oil Cake with Dark Chocolate Chips Recipe 


Some Notes:

This recipe is from Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks. I only made some minor changes to it. There are lots of folks who have baked this cake. Their riffs and comments are on her blog. You can find Heidi's original recipe here

I make this cake entirely with all purpose flour because that's all I usually keep in my cupboard. But I'm eager to try it with whole wheat pastry flour too. I don't bother to sift the all purpose flour and it turns out fine. I bake this cake in an 8 inch square pan.


Ingredients


Olive oil for the pan
Dry ingredients:
3/4 cup spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour  
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Wet ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup whole milk 
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350F 
Rub an 8 inch square baking pan with olive oil. 
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring any bits of grain or other ingredients left in the sifter back into the bowl. Set aside.
In another large bowl, whisk the eggs thoroughly. Add the olive oil, milk and rosemary and whisk again. Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry, gently mixing just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly and smoothing the top. 
Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the top is domed, golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. 

Bon Appetit & Blessings!
xx ~ Jilly 

No comments:

Post a Comment